Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Slanted Door



I've been to San Francisco four times now, and each time with a list of places that I hope to visit. I've been lucky in stumbling over great finds; however it doesn't hurt to do some research prior to the trip. The Slanted Door has been on my list from the first time that I visited, and it was only on this last visit that I was finally able to experience it! My mom was slightly hesitant about going to this restaurant, as she said, "I don't like Vietnamese food;" however, after her first bite of food at the Slanted Door, I can proudly say that I expanded her horizons in the food realm!

The restaurant offers Vietnamese food, with a San Francisco flair. The modern twist of Vietnamese cooking is accented with a plethora of locally grown produce and ecologically farmed meant, game and poultry.



There is a relaxed and open atmosphere with large glass windows overlooking the San Francisco Bay.



Although it was a foggy day, we could see the San Francisco Bay Bridge peaking out from the haze from where we were sitting.



We were overwhelmed by the extensive menu offerings (everything sounded so delicious!), so we made our choices based off of the recommendations from the waitress. The Crispy Imperial Rolls included shrimp, pork, glass noodles and peanuts, served with fresh lettuce leaves to wrap and a light dipping sauce. Absolutely delicious!



The Green Papaya Salad was very original, and included tofu, rau ram (Vietnamese coriander) and roasted peanuts. The dressing was unlike any other papaya salad I've eaten. It was fresh and vibrant without the overpowering fish sauce and chili pepper that I'm accustomed to.



My favorite was the Caramelized Tiger Prawns. They were smothered in a sticky sauce of garlic, onions, and chilis. There was a slight sweetness from the caramelization, with a kick of heat at the end. Finger licking good!



My mom and sister ordered the Chicken Claypot, which was chicken thigh pieces with a caramel sauce, chilies and fresh ginger. This one wasn't the greatest, a little on the salty side.

The Slanted Door lived up to my expectations and changed my mom's perspective on Vietnamese food. The San Francisco twist on Vietnamese food worked perfectly, in my opinion, and I would definitely recommend this restaurant to those in the Bay Area!

The Slanted Door
1 Ferry Building #3
San Francisco, CA 94111
www.slanteddoor.com

3 comments:

Unknown said...

the addition of tofu to the papaya salad sounds good..i know i had tried the green papaya salad from the restaurant called green papaya on waialae...ever been there? my gma and her sister seem to like it, mostly vegetarian things...i didnt particularly like the one i had there. i really like the name of the restaurant..any significance?

Reid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Reid said...

Ashley,

Glad you got to visit the Slanted Door. I've eaten there a couple of times and I am always surprised by how fresh everything is. The take out counter is pretty good as well.

The cellophane noodles with dungeness crab and the shaking beef are still my favorites on the menu. The desserts are also really delicious!