Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Kunio


I have written about several Japanese restaurants so far, and visited even more in my life. For me, Kunio is one of those tried and true spots that always offers quality Japanese food at a reasonable price. Because its located in Waikele Shopping center, I tend to forget about it and haven't visited it in years; however my recent visit was quite nostalgic and reminded me why I loved this place to begin with.

One wouldn't expect to find such good Japanese food in a shopping center; however from the time you walk into the restaurant, the tantalizing aromas are hints that you're in for something good. The dim lighting, Japanese decor and sophisticated kimono-inspired waitress attire create a unique Japanese experience. You may feel a bit rushed if you go during peak hours (for lunch or dinner), because they get quite busy, and the waitresses are frequently rushing around to serve their tables. Be prepared to wait for a table, because this is a popular place for many. Trust me, its worth the wait. Check out the menu while you wait, and decide what you'll order from a wide selection of Japanese dishes.

I always remember the tempura, when I think of Kunio. The tempura is always prepared light and crispy without being too greasy and heavy. The menu consists of teishoku meals, where you can select from several main dishes to create your own combination. Choices include steak, grilled salmon, butterfish, sashimi, vegetable tempura, shrimp tempura, and so much more. All teishoku come with rice, miso soup, salad, and appetizers.





This time, I ordered the vegetable tempura and misoyaki butterfish.



My boyfriend ordered the shrimp tempura and grilled salmon.

In addition to teishoku, you can order nigiri sushi, chirashi sushi, sushi rolls, soba, udon, and various types of donburi. All are great choices, but I always make sure to order tempura!

Kunio
Waikele Shopping Center (next to Party City and Paul Brown)
94-799 Lumiaina Street Suite 2F
Waipahu, HI 96797

No comments: