Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Washoku, By Elizabeth Andoh



In Washoku, Elizabeth Andoh teaches the reader about the art of Japanese cooking. She was born and raised in America, but learned about traditional Japanese cooking after living with her husband's family forty years ago. For this reason, Andoh is able to write about authentic methods and traditions, while explaining it from a westerner's perspective. This book was very interesting for me, as it filled in many of the gaps and answered many of the questions that I had after learning from my grandma. There is nothing like learning first-hand from my grandma; however with the language barrier, it is difficult to fully appreciate the art behind the cooking techniques. This beautiful book is more than a cookbook, but a tribute to the art of cooking harmoniously in the Japanese kitchen.

After cooking several of Andoh's dishes, I've gained a great appreciation for Japanese cooking, specifically Washoku, or the "harmony of food."



Itoko Ni (Soy-Simmered Kabocha Squash with Read Beans)



Unpen-Jiru (Temple Garden Chowder)



Nasu Dengaku (not Andoh's recipe) with Ingen No Goma Miso Ae (Green Beans Tossed in Creamy Sesame-Miso Sauce) and Tosa Ae (Tosa Sea Salad)

1 comment:

Rishi@Naresh said...

Ya It's fine. But I didn't try still now. any way i will try for my Partner