Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Alley Restaurant, Bar and Grill



Aiea Bowling Alley is one of two bowling alleys remaining on the island of Oahu. Back in high school this was the place to hang out. I remember it being a smoke filled room with "less than clean" facilities and yummy french fries. A few years ago, the alley took on a makeover and with that, so did its dining options. "The Alley" now offers a nice (clean) place to sit down and enjoy quality local food. Its not the setting you would expect from a bowling alley. The new image of The Alley makes is a nice place to visit for a meal, even if you have no intention of bowling.



My mom loved her "'Handmade' Hamburger Steak." ($5.75 for the bowl) The patty did indeed appear to be handmade, and as she said, "its all in the gravy!" The smoky flavor from the grill and the homemade gravy made an excellent hamburger steak. She went back the next week to eat it again!



My boyfriend's father raved about the Mahi Mahi "Alley Style" ($6.50 for the bowl), so my boyfriend had to try it for himself. It was a very tender piece of mahi with a very light batter and a sprinkling of furikake. It lived up to our expectations!



I had the "Roasted Portabella Mushroom Sandwich" (5.75). It wasn't the best portabella sandwich that I've ever had, but then again, I don't think a local food place is the place to find it. Nonetheless, it was tasty.




Don't forget to visit the bakery as well. They made delicious scones, and their "Lemon Crunch Cake" is to die for!! It is made up of layers of white cake with a tart lemon custard and topped off with crunchy toffee goodness!! I would go back just to eat the cake! I was too excited to eat it, so I forgot to take a picture of it until half of it was already gone!

The Alley (At Aiea Bowl)
99-115 Aiea Heights Drive
Aiea, HI 96701
www.aieabowl.com

No comments: